Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Annotated Citations

Champion, Justin. “Discovering the Past Online.” JISC inform: The Magazine of Joint Information Systems Committee 8 (2005). http://www.jisc.ac.uk./publications/pub_inform8.aspx November 08, 2008.

This short essay by a professor of the History of Ideas, written just as EEBO was made available to all British colleges and universities, extols the possibilities of EEBO for teaching at the college level. It makes several far-reaching claims that the electronic library will break down barriers of economics, distance, access to delicate documents, physical disabilities, time, and even expertise.

This essay is one among many that argue that new technology will revolutionize teaching.

Flanders, Julia. “Learning, Reading, and the Problem of Scale: Using Women Writers Online.” Pedagogy: Critical Approaches to Teaching Literature, Language, Composition, and Culture 2.1 (2002): 49-59

Julia Flanders in this essay highlights the difficulties of using an electronic library as large as that which has been created by Brown’s Women Writers Project. Though originally meant to enhance teaching, the electronic library is often intimidating to students and faculty. Flanders analyzes these difficulties and suggests some ways to address them.

This essay suggests that while pedagogical benefits accrue from electronic databases of early modern materials, there remain hurdles to be overcome.

1 comment:

Libjilly said...

Hi Beth,
I wish we had had to restate our thesis along with our annotated citations because I believe your original topic changed a tiny bit and I think I’ve got a handle on what your new thesis is by talking to you in class but I’m not sure. I believe your paper is about the impact of digitized resources on teaching (at the college level?) I think so! I remember as you began your search it was rather difficult to find articles on your topic and from what I see here I understand how your original topic was transformed by your research. I did a search in academic search and ERIC to get an idea of what resources were out there and it wasn’t easy – I applaud your patience in honing in on your searching skills I’m sure this topic forced your to get in a lot of practice! I thought the articles that you found were a good match for your topic. The annotations seemed a little short – I say this because I was genuinely interested to know a little more – so know your analysis was intriguing! I’m curious to know how you organize your paper – there seem to be so many possibilities. I think it would be cool to see how the perceived impact has changed through the past (I think 10 or so years) what did educators think when the digitization began and what do they think now. Another interesting organization would be the various levels of education and the implication of digitized information. Happy Writing!